Thursday, November 13, 2014

Emotions

I don't really know what to say today. If you've read my blog before, you know I'm not exactly the most concise writer, and rarely at a loss for words. However, I've started and deleted this post about 40 times so far, and I don't think it's going to get any better any time soon, so this will have to do. 

I'm excited. 

I'm excited because I just got accepted to run my THIRD Boston Marathon in 3 years. I'm excited because I'm running with my Other Family: the AMAZING people of CharityTeams.org and the 19 charities that they represent. I'm excited because my top choice of teams - The Martin W. Richard Foundation - chose me to be one of their ambassadors this year. I'm excited because that's such a huge honor to me. 

However, there are so many other emotions, too. I have to admit that even when writing my application, things got a bit emotional for me. Luckily, though I was finishing up the application at work, my office was empty at the time, so though I probably looked like a lunatic wiping tears from my eyes at my desk, I made it without anyone knowing. Just don't tell my co-workers...

I'm nervous. 

I'm nervous because this feels like more 'responsibility', I guess you would say. That's not the exact right word, but I'm nervous to screw literally anything up. I'm nervous (already) that I'll get injured in training. That I'll get hit by a bus walking across the street. That I'll contract ebola a week before. Or that I'll just be in a sour mood one morning before my coffee and just make an insensitive comment to someone unnecessarily. I'm nervous to portray myself even for a minute in a way that wouldn't be deserving of wearing the MR8 logo on my chest. 

I'm proud. 

I'm proud that in the past two years, I've raised over $13,000 for two awesome charities, and I can't wait to get started on my third (spoiler alert: I already started fundraising. Donated myself). I'm proud to be a part of this team, proud to represent my community, and proud that the money I'll be raising goes right back to the people and places I love. I'm proud that my running has inspired other friends and family members to do similar things in their own lives. I'm proud of everything I've accomplished these past two Marathon Years.

I'm sad.

I'm sad, in a way, that this team was created in the first place. As I said, even applying for a spot on MR8 was emotional, and I have to imagine there will be more emotional spots in training. No one should have to go through what the Richard family did, though it is true that the toughest times in life are seemingly when people band together and support each other the most, which is what happened after April 15th, 2013.

And though I'm sad, I'm inspired.

I'm inspired by the Richard family and all that they've done since April 16th, 2013, to use this tragedy as an opportunity to do something great. Last year's inaugural team raised over $1.25 million alone. Throughout training, the Richards were there constantly, supporting not only their own team but the rest of the running community by offering coffee, hand warmers, snacks, and encouragement to hundreds of us. I can't wait to be a part of that.

So, I'm excited. 

I'm excited to start training and fundraising. I hope you're excited too, 2015 is going to be an awesome year, and it starts today. Donate today, at my personal page here: https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/EdHarms/bostonmarathon2015 and help me support the Richard Family in all that they do to further Martin's message of Peace. 


1 comment:

  1. Eddie, I started my journey walking in2011. Trying to help a friend get healthy, and knowing these local 5ks are always a fundraiser for something wonderful. I thought, someday I want to run one of these. Well, Eric inspired my first 5k...but go forward a year and a half, you inspired me to try a 1/2 Marathon. I am getting ready to do my 3rd and when I'm out there running in my orange Boston jacket, I think of you. Thanks Eddie...for running, inspiring, coaching, giving. For your humor, your strength. You are an amazing young man and I am proud to be your Aunt.

    ReplyDelete